Sunday, October 31, 2010

Interesting use of a blog

My father in law recently passed away and while discussing funeral arrangements, the funeral director asked if we would like to create an online obituary and blog.  My first thought was shock - why would this be an option?   He explained that the obituary would be online and that visitors, especially those from out of town,  could share a story or simply write a message of condolence for the family.   My mother in law had no idea what a blog was, but my 18 year old son leapt on the idea.  His suggestion was to combine the family photos, and the blog as well as the comments in the funeral guest book - and blurb, a site that allows you to create your own photo book - and create a memory book for his grandmother.  He knows she's not computer literate and would never look at a blog, but would appreciate a book of family photos for the coffee table.



My point here is that people are using blogs in some amazing ways.  The people at the funeral home got the idea from one of their younger employees.  Also, if we teach our students how to use the basic technology in class, either the DE or the face to face classroom, they can use that as a jumping off point - and share knowledge and information in ways that we might not previously have thought about.   These two young people took a basic knowledge of web 2.0 technology and came up with the idea of a personalized photo and memory book that can be created at the funeral home, or by any family member with internet access.. even if those wishing to contribute are spread across the world. . What a wonderful idea... ...and great proof that if we teach our young students about the available technology - they will take the sharing of knowledge and information further... 

As a military wife, I have attended the funerals of many of our soldiers over the last 20 years.... What a wonderful way to share those memories with the extended family who are often geographically separated not only from the service member, but from  the spouse, the grandchildren and the friends that the service member spent so much time with.       Thankfully, we have educated teens to share their ideas to promote the common good.

4 comments:

  1. First, I would like to express my condolences on behalf of our family. Unfortunately, I have experienced the loss of a parent and it is very difficult to see anyone suffer.
    In regards to the funeral blog, great idea! I have seen more and more funeral homes offering the service, especially for those with family out of the state and/or country unavailable to attend the services. It allows the family to heal from the loss, yet time to read the post in the privacy of their own homes.

    Many of my patients have blogs to share the progess of their Bone Marrow Transplants. The patients cannot leave the unit so this gives them the opportunity to speak with friends and family without leaving their rooms. The patients look forward to reading the well wishes and viewing posted photos.

    Technology has taken over the teenage population. I refuse to be pushed aside because of the my age, so I am trying to keep up by enrolling in technology taught courses. Thank you for the post and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- what a great idea as well. I guess this social networking thing really works. I wouldn't have thought about it for transplants, although I had thought about it for caregivers of Alzheimers. (My father in law suffered over 8 years, but my mother in law rarely had a free moment because she was the primary care giver.) She refuses to use a computer, but many older people have learned to use computers and depend on them.. I guess the main point is that when we know what technology exists, we'll find new and interesting ways to use it.. no matter how old we might be..

    Thanks for your condolences as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my Dad died, we elected not to do a blog, although we did provide pictures for a commemorative DVD that looped during his visitation. Blogs do have immense power for good, but I shudder when I find people who should know better using them as factual reference material. I have signed an entry on an online remembrance site, and thought it was a wonderful idea. I'm glad to see you're promoting this concept thoughtfully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Michael. I did think that the teens were the promoters on this -and it's one reason we need to continue teaching our teens about these tools in the classroom. I do believe that they have the imagination to use things in a way that I, as a member of the older generation, don't think about.... maybe because technology is such a part of their life.

    ReplyDelete